Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cookie Success!

So the new mixer got a workout this weekend. Yesterday I made a batch of buttery shortbread cookies and today I made a ton of ginger snaps. The ginger snaps turned out awesome. You mix all the ingredients together, including butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, vinegar, ground ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and molasses [which I was skeptical about b/c it didn't smell all that great] then roll the cookies into little balls and bake on the sheet. I used the Joy of Cooking recipe, but took a cue from another recipe and dipped the cookie ball in granulated sugar before putting it on the cookie sheet and baking. That turned out to be a great idea, as the cookies bake and flatten they get that awesome characteristic cracked surface and the sugar makes them sparkle and adds just a little extra sweetness. The cookies are crisp but still a tiny bit chewy at the center. I'd say this was a success!

These are the shortbread cookies all cut up into squares. You bake them in a jelly pan [cookie sheet w/raised sides] and just press the dough in then cut into pieces when done. Very easy.

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with you! They look amazing and I cannot wait to raid your cookie jar.

    I also like your stack-able cooling racks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Everything looks SO yummy. And I love your stacking cooling racks, too!

    ReplyDelete