Thursday, November 19, 2009

cough cough

I'm home sick today, little bit of a cough, no real sore throat just cough that makes the rest of me hurt :-( I debated going to work today but at 5 am who really feels good enough to go to work? So, I'm home and I'm glad. However, I feel guilty about using a day of sick leave. I have LOTS of sick leave, over 5 weeks, but all I think about is that I have to save that up in case...one day...I decide to have kids. Contrary to what I would ever believe, the US Federal govt. does NOT give you maternity leave, nada. You have to use your own sick leave or take leave without pay. So here I am sick, should probably not be at work, and I feel bad for trying to get better because I'm stealing a day from myself that years from now I might need...crazy. There's plans to pass a new law that allows parental leave, something like 4 weeks for maternity leave, but who knows when that will happen. Until then I feel the need to hoard my sick leave for the future possibility of kids.

I'm going to sit on the couch and relax and try to at least enjoy not being at work :-)

2 comments:

  1. ohmygod! I can't believe that you don't get maternity leave (and here I was pissed that I "only" get 6 weeks). The US is seriously f'ed up when it comes to that. Do you realize that other countries give like A YEAR?! Messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT! A YEAR!???

    I'm moving to Canada.

    ReplyDelete