Friday, January 15, 2010

Girl Time

So I was reminded tonight why it is important to make time with your girlfriends. Making time apart from work, from your spouse, from just regular old relaxing at home-because only your girlfriends know exactly what you are going through and can make you feel like you are not the only one who experiences something and that however crazy parts of your life feel, someone else is going through the same stuff.

You need your girlfriends, to make you feel sane and remind you that guys are fundamentally different when it comes to some things, and that only a fellow lady can commiserate.

I went and took a look at some of the "marriage" advice I was given by the church ladies at the bridal shower they threw for me. Some of these are real gems and really stand out:

"It's very important to develop your relationship with your husband, but keep your female relationships strong too! Women friends are essential."

"Learn to work around him so he always thinks he's right- even when you know he isn't"

"Remember to be open with your communication. Use kind words. Think before you say anything out of anger. Be patient."

"Read the book 'Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus.' I wish I'd read it years before I did."

"Enjoy activities that you can do with your husband but do some ventures on your own too! Keep your girlfriends, and be sure to spend time with them."

"A little advice that was given to me many years ago- If you have a little 'spat' or misunderstanding with your husband, always make up before you go to bed"

"Always give in when you need to."

"Remember to say 'I'm sorry.'"

"Have lots of fun- do things that make you laugh. It's all a roller coaster ride, when it goes flying down, it starts back up again."

"Enjoy each and every day together. There will always be peaks and valleys but that is what makes your lives grow. Spend lots of time in the 'kitchen' and other rooms too! Save time for yourself. Talk to each other."


So, I haven't read these in over a year and I'm amazed at how wonderful the pieces of advice are. And the fact that these came from mostly older women who have been in relationships for years and whose experience really means something. I know why I saved them and why I will keep them always. They make me smile and remind me how important it is to have women in your life.

To all the ladies out there, lets hang out soon!

3 comments:

  1. Yes! x 2!

    Great pieces of advice. And yes, I agree, it is nice to know other people you relate with are in the same boat in one way or another. Life can be a little rough but having people on your side makes it fun and so much easier. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! x 3!

    I was talking to B about this very thing this weekend... how therapeutic it can be to talk with another woman who just "gets it". Thanks for always being there for me ;)

    PS: Thanks for sharing that advice! I'm gonna save those quotes for myself!

    ReplyDelete