Wednesday, January 6, 2010

good and bad

So on my way home today I was kinda proud of myself, thinking I had a relatively productive day. At the end of the work day I realized I didn't really check out all my usual websites I look at to take a break, or pass the time if I feel bored. I was actually busy enough to get some things done without really having much time to slack. A pretty good day. I got in to work a little later than usual b/c one of our cars is in the shop so VAP dropped me off at the MARC train station and was going to pick me up at night. I ended up taking the train right after my usual one so I could make up some time from the morning. As our train stopped at Riversdale, College Park, and then Greenbelt things were going fine until it stopped a minute or so after leaving Greenbelt. Turns out there was an accident up ahead that damaged the tracks and we couldn't go forward. Well, we couldn't go backwards either b/c there were trains behind us, so we had to wait where we were till the traffic controllers could coordinate a massive redirect of all the Camden line trains. No one could come south and no one could go north past this spot till they determined the damage. Our train finally got the go ahead to head back three stops to Riversdale where there was a cross over and then all trains were going to have to single-track between there and some point north where there was also a cross over. Well, that means all the regular trains doing the N/S commute had to take turns on this 10 mile or so stretch one at a time. By this time we are already 40 or so mins late. Once we started back tracking they let us off at Greenbelt if we wanted to get off and find alternate transportation. After a few frantic moments of not being able to get VAP on the phone I finally got him and told him to head to Greenbelt ASAP. I wasn't about the get off the warm train and wait essentially outdoors at Greenbelt w/o knowing if he was able to come get me. Lucky for me [and him] he was. He picked me up about 7:15 and we decided to get some Thai food in Greenbelt. Finally got home about 8:45. From what I can tell, the train I was on should have finally rolled through my station about 8:30, about 2.5 hours past the normal time. Still proud of my semi-productive day at work, but it stinks that something always happens to mess up your good mood. It's just like when you get the day started early and you are all proud of yourself and have plans for an awesome day and then the bus is late and you are late to work- sometimes you just can't win.

At least tomorrow is my "Friday"! Hope everyone is having a good week, despite any things that try to get in the way.

1 comment:

  1. Dang! I can't believe all that trouble... I would have been getting claustrophobic if I had been stuck on that train on some random part of the tracks for 40+ minutes. I'm proud of you for not freaking out, even if it did ruin your good mood. PS: Way to be productive! That is SO not happening for me today.

    ReplyDelete