Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cow Farts

I read an article yesterday at work that discussed the leading causes of pollution and greenhouse-gas emissions. Do you know what causes 18% of greenhouse-gas emissions????? Cow farts! Seriously- the primary gas released by livestock is methane. And where does this methane come from? "Flatus" and manure. Cow farts cause more greenhouse-gas emissions than cars and airplanes. I found this both funny and very interesting. What about people, how much greenhouse-gas do we emit? Do we need to get a super supply of Bean-o for the farms?

Sorry, I just found this article, in a serious journal about sustainable design, kinda hilarious.

3 comments:

  1. Agriculture is by far one of the most polluting and dangerous industries going - it never ceases to amaze me how disgusted I become when I actually think about where my food comes from - or how detrimental modern processes of food manufacturing are! After reading this post, and seeing your herb garden pics, I have to insist that you read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" - think you might enjoy it (made me want to pack up everything, move to West VA and start a farm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, I'll have to check it out of the library. I'm always looking for a good book, especially one that can teach me something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHAHA! That is both fascinating and revolting.

    ReplyDelete