Wednesday, May 20, 2009

new car!


What started yesterday as a harmless, "lets go test drive cars for fun..." turned into, "ooooh, this car is really nice..." to, "ooh, you'll sell it to me for how much?"...to, "well, we really aren't ready to buy today," to, " really, it only costs that much?!" to "ok, well let me go get my old car to be appraised for trade in" to, "Wow, thanks for selling me my new Nissan Rogue!."

So, yeah, totally went to test drive, came home 8 hours later w/ a new car! Still trying to convince ourselves it wasn't tooooooo compulsive. But we really got an awesome car for a great price, pretty much couldn't pass it up- but that's how they get you right?

Best part was, they were only going to give us $500 for my old 1998 Buick Regal w/o seeing it. On our way to take it to the dealership for an in person appraisal, we decided to stop by Carmax to see what they would buy it for, and good thing we did, they would buy it from us for $2000!!!!!!!!! When we went back to Nissan we didn't say anything about Carmax right away, and Nissan said, " oh, well it looks pretty good, we could go as high as $750!" BAH! We all but laughed in their faces. Told them we could go across the street and be right back w/ a check for $2000. So, they made it work out to sell it to them and we left w/ a new car :-)

So, I've never had a new car before, "new to me" yes, but not brand new. So this is exciting, and scary. Drive it off the lot and it goes down in value immediately right? I have to keep telling myself, that's just the way it is unfortunately. Cars are not the investment real estate is, which somehow made it more stressful for me to buy the car. At some point I had to remind myself I bought a house, all by myself! And I didn't feel as scared as I did at some points yesterday and this morning about a new car. But, A just finished paying off his car loan, and I didn't have one- and this new loan is actually less than A's previous loan- so we figure we're still in pretty good shape. I don't think I'm ever ready to part w/ my savings, no matter what it's for- wedding, car, home improvements. It's just too fun to see the $ pile up in ing.com that I hate to take it back out again. Oh well. Gonna go cruising tonight so I have a chance to get used to the new car :-) yay.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome! And I couldn't help but giggle to myself when you mentioned ing... I doooo love to see my savings grow and grow, lol. It'll definitely be hard to part when I have to use it as a down payment for a house... I mean, that's the whole reason it's there, but what a BIG decision! Lol. Congrats on the new car, it's preeeetty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT IS SO FREAKIN' AWESOME! I love your car, and I can't wait to see it. You know, the whole "let's just go test drive" is exactly how I ended up with my car too. So what's her name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, haven't named her yet. I was looking up the definition of "Rogue" and there are some pretty tough definitions to work with. The best thing we have right now [and take this with a grain of salt] is "Thrillhouse." Explanation: "A" plays WOW [World of Warcraft] online and one of the types of characters you can pick is a "rogue." I think there are priests, shamens, hobbits, I don't know them all. Anywho, is rogue's name was "Thrillhouse." So, that's it so far. Not too bad, it might just stick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I pretty much cleaned out my savings when I bought the house, but it grew back to a reasonable amount again pretty quickly. Then we paid for a wedding...but we're back again...the break on your taxes for homeownership helps. All of my tax return went right into ing. Now we bought the car, and are also saving to fix up the house some, new deck, bathroom and kitchen redos, new carpet...nice long list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on the new car! carmax really is a gem - we ended up selling them one of our old cars because they were offering about 3k over what the dealership would give us.

    ReplyDelete